Saturday, February 04, 2006

No facking…No romance…

One lazy Saturday afternoon I remember I was checking out my e-mails, and I saw one from my high school sweetheart, the news…he was getting married.

While I was reading the e-mail, those nice and tender words talking about his life and his whereabouts I couldn’t help wondering what would have been if we were still together. I remember we never had sex, at 16 going all the way was a very important thing to do and though I was thinking about it, in the meantime my dad was transferred to a different city because of his work so, that was the end of our little but deep affair.

But I also remembered how easy it was just to be together without the uncomfortable silence of the first date, with no asking about the future, all the future we used to consider was our lovely wedding, a full of sex honeymoon, you know? Only the good stuff.

Nowadays is so sad, we have replaced the long phone calls by cold e-mails, the love songs by text messages in our cell phones, the romantic walks holding hands by informal sleep-overs. Those I love you’s which were eager to fall out of our mouths like nothing have now been replaced by funny jokes and witty remarks just to avoid those 3 terrifying words… sometimes I’m pretty sure it was better when we kissed more thought less.

However, myself Miss Brightside, thinks of how tragic it would have been if, after almost ten years of dating and a marriage in between, we’d ended up together, what a terrible waste of time, what the hell was I doing?. When I used to cry my eyes off for the man of my life that I was about to lose when I was 16, my mum told me, and I bet she almost assured me, that there will be other and better guys for me out there, but guess what mum?? THERE AREN’T!!!

Over the years I believe people have lost the ability to find true love and they don’t consider necessary to sugarcoat their feelings anymore, therefore, women have accepted to co-exist with men in a sugar free world which is kind of sad sometimes due to when you find someone who’s actually romantic or at least express himself in a very Victorian way, like in the movies, we might find it a fake.

As a girl I’m up for being romantic and tender, I still believe in sweet words told at the light of the candels in a dinner, listening the violins in the back and looking someone in the eyes for long periods of time, but I’ve already lost the hope, I’ve thrown the towel because we live in a romance-intolerant world, with romance-intolerant people and at the end maybe you will end up being blamed for faking.

No comments: